A lot of people stress when it comes time to move into your new Myrtle Beach Home. Most people only move a few times during a lifetime, so they are not always aware of all the things they need to do when moving.
To help lower the amount of stress, here is a brief checklist of items to do one month before closing on your new Myrtle Beach property. In the next few weeks there will be follow up articles with checklists of items to do at 2 weeks before moving, day before the move, day of move-out, day of move-in, & after you are settled.
- Clean out closets, attic, basement, etc… Take this time to start going through things and discarding things you don’t want anymore or have no need for. For example, if you currently live in a cold weather climate, you can take that snow blower and place it for sale on Craigslist. Our warmer temperatures in Myrtle Beach leave zero need for it. Also, you can reduce down your winter clothing collection greatly. Sell those items off and start your new boat fund.
- Consider having a garage sale. What to do with all that unwanted stuff? Have a garage sale and sell the things you dont need anymore. Maybe you are downsizing when you move and will not have the need for the extra furniture. Host a garage sale or two and put some extra money in your pocket.
- Donate unwanted items. Some things may not sell at a yard sale. Those items that are of any worth you can donate to the local goodwill, library, or thrift shops. You can get a receipt for tax purposes.
- Register children for school. If you are moving to another school district, take this time to get children registered for their new school. As moving day approaches, you won’t have time available and may forget this.Many of the Horry County Schools have information on their website.
- Start opening new bank accounts. If you are moving to an area where your bank does not service, you will need to find a new bank. Most banks now have the option to apply online and can be done from your current residence. Not having a local bank can cause issues with extra fees to try and do basic banking functions.
- Contact your veterinarian. Check with your vet for travel preparation for your pets. Also, see if they have a recommendation for you to transfer to here in Myrtle Beach.
- Notify post office. Contact the post office along with any other publications of your change of address and the date it will become effective. This can now be done online by clicking here.
- Contact lawn service, security company, & other regular services. Let these services know in advance of your vacating date so that they can discontinue service at that time and not charge you extra. Nobody likes to waste money. If you are just moving across town in Myrtle Beach, some of these services will just need to be transferred.
- Use your frozen foods. It is very difficult to travel with frozen foods. They can be very heavy and there is not really any safe way of traveling with them. Also, once you arrive at your new home, if you are bringing the refrigerator with, it could take up to 24 hours until it is cold enough to freeze items again which will result in major spoilage of foods.
So these are just a few great tips to help you prepare for the big day of moving into your new Myrtle Beach home. Are there any other tips you can think of? Share in the comments below.